Sunday 7 March 2010

Leeny Makes Channa Choley

Tasted yummier than it looks, promise.

I cannot cook to save my life. Despite living away from home, the most I have done so far is boil water for my cup noodles. Yes, I'm serious. And no, my mum does not approve. She was adamant that I'd end up learning a thing or two while at university, but I guess I'm just cool like that, haha. But yeah, believe it or not, Leeny thinks it's about time she did learn how to make some stuff!

My roommate cooks once in a while, and I think I'm going to get her to help me learn. Why not, right? It'll only make my life easier when I'll have to stand in the kitchen cooking rotis for all and sundry.

So yeah, she taught me how to make channay. Don't laugh at me like that, it's just a start. They actually turned out to be pretty yummy! And not that hard to cook either. She made daal chawal the other day. I'll make that some time soon too. And I want to learn to make boneless chicken handi too. Anyone have any easy recipes? Haha.

I feel as if I HAVE matured a lot since I've been at university. And the fact that Leeny wants to learn how to cook is a big deal. I like baking, but cooking has always been a big no-no. Its just so time consuming and is such a hassle. But then again, now that I've become more sensible, I have begun to realise that there is truth in what our elders say to us. Yes, they are of a different generation and have different aspirations and goals than us today, but if we listen to what they have to say with an open mind, we should be able to see the wisdom in their words. I think I'm sick of going against what the 'elders' have to say. I wasn't really a rebel kid ever, but I did always question whatever they said. Sometimes out loud, and sometimes just in my head. I would think of THEM being narrow-minded, while in fact, it was quite the opposite. We should be open to different ideas. Ego = not cool. Food = yum. Being able to cook = easier life ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment